Tuesday 9 July 2013

Sweet and sour crumble

Another day, another BBQ..I'm not exactly complaining!
This weather is gorgeous and despite the SPF I've still got a nice little rosy glow going on which is lovely.

Sweet and Sour CrumbleWe've had some pears in our fruit bowl that no one's been eating, I really hate wasting food so I decided to make a pear crumble. I think pears are a bit sweet and I'm not exactly a huge fan of them so I decided to use raspberries as a sharp, summery contrast to the seasonal in winter pear. It's a bit of an odd combination for this time of year but it tasted lovely. 



I'm using two dishes because I've lost my bigger one, it's a mystery..
This recipe serves six 

Ingredients
3 Small soft pears, enough slices to cover the bottom of you dish
1 punnet of raspberries
30g of caster sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
Sprinkle of  ground cinnamon
75g of plain flour
25 g of Oats
80g of light brown sugar
25 g of desicated coconut ( I get mine from a local indian supermarket because it's like 70% cheaper than the supermarket)
80g of salted or sunsalted butter.
2 strawberries
Lemon Juice
Enough double cream to whip and serve

Method
 
1. Heat the oven to 180°/Gas 4/160° fan
2. Slice the pears into wedges, about 8 per pear , and lay down roughly into your baking dish. You can then add your raspberries but save five for later ;) Slightly crush the berries in to release their flavour.
3. Sprinkle over the caster sugar. Use two tablespoons of the flour and sprinkle that over the dish too. Then add the vanilla essence and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Toss everything together gently with a tablespoon and set the dish aside.

4. In a large mixing bowl. combine the rest of the flour with the 25g of oats, the light brown sugar and the desiccated coconut. 

5. Cut the 80g of butter into small cubes and rub into the dry ingredients until you have crumbs. Don't be alarmed if you have to add a little more butter or flour to get the right consistency. 

6. Coat the top of the dish with the crumble mixture. I like to add extra oats on top of mine so it looks pretty. Bake int the oven on the middle shelf for 30 minutes. 

7. Whilst your crumble is baking, you can make a sour strawberry and raspberry coulis. 
I just put the remaining raspberries in a blender with two strawberries and a little squirt of lemon juice. Set aside until serving. 

8. I love cream on all my desserts, especially when it's thick. Just electrically whisk double cream until it has a thick consistency. If you want to be cheeky, add a tbsp of caster sugar before you whisk. 

9. Remove the dish and serve warm, with the coulis and cream..




I hope you like the mix of flavors in this crumble. I think the sweet and sour flavours in the crumble are emphasized by the sweet whipped cream and the tangy coulis.
I've got a bit left in the fridge and I keep eating little mouthfuls whenever I pass the kitchen!
charlotte 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

we are a new online vintage store and blog hoping to fulfill all your lovely vintage desires!